Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Remembering Pete Newell

How often do you hear someone described as a legend? It probably happens far too often in our "everyone is a superstar" society. But, if you look closely, there are very few actual legends among us. Pete Newell, basketball coach and teacher, was the very definition of the word legend. He would have humbly argued about that designation but it doesn't change the facts. Coach Pete Newell passed away Monday at the age of 93 and we are all poorer as a result. Coach Newell was a true legend.

There are many fine tributes today to Pete Newell. Television, newspapers, magazines and online sources have all posted wonderful tributes to a man that was both loved and admired. I thought I would take a little time to add my personal experiences with Coach Newell, who I got to know very late in his storied life.

It's funny sometimes how the six degrees of seperation apply to different areas of one's life. I guess it's not always a Kevin Bacon trivia game (or drinking game, depending on your personal stage in life). I had read Coach Newell's seminal basketball instruction book, "Basketball Methods," as a much younger hoops playing version of myself. In the last few years, as I had become a real coach, I had also brushed up on my instruction methods by reading "Pete Newell's Playing Big," which he penned with former player and student, Swen Nater. All of this lead me back to an original 1962 copy of "Basketball Methods" that I had been given when my legendary coach, Jack Kenyon, passed away.

When my brother, high school and college coach Paul Eberhardt, turned 40 a few years ago I wanted to do something special for his birthday. I've been lucky enough over the last number of years to make a large number of NBA contacts. I thought they might be able to help me out and put together a basketball themed gift for Paul's special day. As usual, all the best laid plans get sidetracked and for a variety of reasons I was unable to pull anything off for Paul during the actual basketball season. In this case, however, basketball season ended and as summer approached, I was able to arrange for Paul and myself to attend the Pete Newell Big Man Camp on the campus on UNLV in Las Vegas. We were inside the ropes. Observer coaches. Lemons had truly turned into lemonade.

The official Pete Newell Big Man Camp started years earlier in Hawaii with college and pro big men travelling to the islands to receive the most fundamental of instruction from the most fundamental of coaches. The camp had started unofficially in the 1970's when Coach Newell began tutoring a raw and rough Kermit Washington. Slowly, more and more players sought out the former Cal and US Olympic coach to help them polish their games through footwork and techniques that helped them play basketball the right way.

Waking-up each morning that week in Las Vegas was a joy. It didn't matter that it was already 104 degrees before we even got close to the gym. What mattered was the opportunity to watch and learn; drop steps, inside pivots, Shaq spins, Kiki moves and on and on it went. The sweet simplicity of footwork, runners squeaking on the maple. More importantly, we got to watch Coach Newell and his assistants teach. Not coach but teach.

Keep in mind, Coach Newell was 90 at the time and had recently had lung surgery. He shook it off and just kept teaching. He just couldn't let his guys down.
My brother and I also had the opportunity to speak with Coach Newell. Even better, we had the opportunity to listen to Coach Newell. He passed on not only basketball knowledge, techniques, and strategy but lessons on how to treat people and live your life. Coach was always friendly and gracious and treated us both with respect. A multiple hall of famer and two schlubbs from Canada just talking hoops.

After returning from the Big Man Camp I was able to touch base with Coach Newell over the phone. He was 90 years old but still sharp as a tack. I'll always cherish that he answered the phone and let me learn. Now, hopefully, I can pass on the lessons that I learned from Coach Newell to my young players. The unsung legend would have liked that...
Pete Newell1915 - 2008

No comments: